Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Graphic weekend in Sydney


A few weeks ago I flew over to Sydney and attended the Graphic Festival being held at the Sydney Opera House. The drawcard for me was Neil Gaiman, who was doing a reading of an unpublished short story in the concert hall, accompanied by the Fourplay string quartet and the artwork of Eddie Campbell projected onto a screen. However I was even more excited to find that Gaiman was also going to be headlining a panel on developing ideas.

I only really found out about this quite late, so I booked my ticket about a week and a half before. Whilst looking at the website I kept finding other interesting events I'd like to attend, so I found myself signing up for other panels and free workshops. I had to pick and choose because some things schedule clashed with others.

Here's what I attended. First there was a panel on getting published. The slant was on graphic novels, as the festival revolved around graphic novels (comic books), visual mediums, animation and so forth. Sort of the new, amalgamated literature as it emerges today. Gary Groth from Fantagraphics was at the panel. Fantagraphics have been publishing independent comics for years and I must admit I'd never directly heard about them until the festival. I found his perspective quite insightful and interesting indeed. Perhaps the key point he seemed to stress was to practise your craft. Do it as often as you can and just keep developing your skills. And be active and involved as much as you can with communities and whatnot. If you do this, you'll be noticed.


Shortly after that I headed to the concert hall for "The Truth is a Cave in the Black Mountains." This was the reading of Neil's short story, which had never been read in public before. It was a full house, more or less, an audience of 2000. Neil himself had said, leading up to the event, that it was something he'd never really done before. Something of an experiment. The story was about 80 minutes long or so. It was dark and moody. Perhaps even foreboding. But altogether the experience was utterly enthralling and I found myself thinking that despite films, radio or television that this really was the best way to communicate a story. To stand in a room and read it aloud and with vigour. The audience hanging on your every word. The music and the artwork only helped this along and created a wonderful atmosphere. Afterwards we were treated to a short Q&A, run by the artist Eddie Campbell, who had provided the artwork. A strange and wonderfully charming Scotsman, he'd moved to Brisbane to live. Eddie is perhaps best known for his artwork on the graphic novel "From Hell." (Eddie had even self published it from the front room of his house at one point and was also at the Publishing workshop.) The banter between Neil and Eddie was especially delightful as the two have known each other for around twenty five years. It was playful and very entertaining! Neil ended by reading a poem. I've forgotten which one it was! I need to chase up and find that info out as I do recall enjoying it a lot.

I got a pretty good seat, considering I booked so late. An advantage to going alone, I think.

That was it for the evening. I'd actually worked the night shift the night before and pretty much gone straight to the airport, into Sydney and then straight to the Opera House. I was pretty tired at this point. Except that my friend Scott was in town and decided to take me on an explorative journey through Kings Cross. It was Saturday night and teeming with life. The place was filled with people searching for a good time. Some found them in the endless arrays of strip clubs and others found them in tangled brawls which scattered across the pavement and trickled onto the roads. The crowd was thick but I felt remarkably safe, provided you watched where you were going. I saw quite a few riot squad police cars and the occasional ambulance. It was cold as hell, though. Didn't stop the girls from walking around in hardly anything at all. They must have been freezing.

So we pottered about, saw this and that. Went into a cafe and talked about my book. Well, I talked about my book at length and he listened. I didn't dare touching any alcohol because I'd been awake something like 28 hours by that point and I knew I'd instantly fall to sleep. After much wandering, walking, drinking coffee, talking and what have you, we bid our farewells and I stopped at my hostel.

Bunk bed in hostel. Cheap and effective!

3 hours sleep was all I got, for after that I was awake and charging my phone, checking out and tossing my bag into a locker for the day. Then it was back up to the Opera House. I had time for a quick breakfast and a few photos, before the next event was due.

View of the Bridge from Circular Quay.

The morning panel was on Fantagraphics. Gary Groth basically discussed the history of the company. How it began, what the early days were like and so on. I've read quite a few bits and bobs from Fantagraphics but I never really knew who they were. I'm glad I've discovered them because what they publish is most definitely up my alley. Anyway, that was rather informative and fun! We broke for lunch, which was pleasant in the harbour. I sat in the sun and soaked up some rays. I work nights so I don't get a lot of sun. It was kinda pleasant.

An amazing Graphic Novel published by Fantagraphics which I picked up.

Next was an even better panel, on developing ideas. This comprised of Shaun Tan, Neil Gaiman and Eddie Campbell. Shaun Tan is a remarkable artist from Perth who has made some absolutely incredible books, including "The Arrival." Neil Gaiman is one of my favourite authors and pretty much my hero. And Eddie, the slightly twitchy Scottish artist, was baffling and memorable. I had a wonderful seat and found the whole discussion fascinating. I even got to ask Neil a question at the end, which was pretty much a dream come true. I got to communicate with my hero! He was aware of my existence and pondered a thought I put his way. That's just awesome. He gave a pretty damn good answer, too.

This was the view from my seat in the "developing ideas" panel.

I forgot to mention, but after the performance the night before, there was a whole bunch of stuff for sale. The Opera House had wanted him to do a signing, but after he explained the logistics of such a thing, they backed away. So Neil went over to Books Kinokinya and signed everything they had, which was around two thousand books. They had these for sale afterwards. The line was massive- I was lucky enough to get in quite close to the front. The organisation was terrible however. People sort of spilled over the sides and were more or less pushing their way into the front! I hear people waited up to an hour and a half in line though. I was probably there for fifteen minutes. I managed to get a copy of Absolute Sandman vol2. A lovely volume. I have vol1 but needed 2 (and 3 and 4.)


On Sunday afternoon, after the panel on developing ideas, I headed back to my locker, charged my iphone up and headed to the airport. I was there a few hours early, but I didn't really have anything I wanted to do in town. I'd already spent enough money! So I sat in the airport terminal, overtired and over excited and pondered over what I'd just experienced.

The biggest thing I took away from the weekend was that I know I can make it. Getting in with likeminded people was an invigorating experience. The publishing workshop was also extremely valuable, I feel. I realised that I really do have what it takes. It's very cut and thrust out there and publishers can be extremely unforgiving. But all you have to do is keep working hard. That's the one thing I haven't really been doing. Just reading and writing. Like Gary Groth said, you need to practise your craft and develop your skill. I decided in that airport terminal that I would write and read, every day from now on. No excuses. This would come first and foremost. And I know that I will. I am giving myself one year to be ready to approach publishers with material. That doesn't mean that I'll get published then. It might still take time. But I'll be ready.

Program Guide.

I know that this is something that I really want to do with my life. I'm serious about it. Telling stories has been the one skill I have ever managed to have, naturally. In order to use this to my advantage and make something of it, I simply need to get out there and put in the work. Put in the effort. Write every day, without fail. Just get the practise I need to develop into a formidable writer. I know I can do it. I just know.

Despite the fact that I couldn't really afford the weekend I'm glad that I went. And I really owe that to my friend Katie. I had posted on Facebook that I wasn't going to attend, even though I wanted to, because I had no money. She told me that events like this are what debt is for. That's a somewhat reckless thing to say, but I'm glad she said it because I truly feel like my time in Sydney on that weekend was an important turning point for me in my life. So yeah, it was worth every cent and every second.



No comments:

Post a Comment